Monday, July 23, 2007

A Letter for West Brunswick Youth Group

Hi ppl!

Greetings from Perth! I'm here to share the happenings in Western Australia. I hope it's ok.

I attended church in Carnarvon, St. Mary of the Sea for about 6 months. You know how hard it is trying to go to church when my partner is a new Catholic. He said, "the sermon is boring". So what I did? I didn't attend mass when he "begged" me to. "I want to try the oysters in 2 Mile Beach!" - which is free anyway, and fresh. So to his taste I abandoned my mass, calling in mind that church is our body, our fellow human beings, and the building itself. It's not easy I can tell you, the priest thought I have converted to atheism, coz I didn't attend the mass. Nonetheless, I felt welcome in God's home everytime I prayed at the church.

Country church is diff from City church. D'oh what am I talking about? The country folks felt threatened when somebody new came into the church and became a regular. A foreign face (you wouldn't see many Asians at the church) is totally unbelievable. They thought I was a backpacker. Funny that, just on the day when I decided to ride my bike with a backpack full of stuff. When I walked to the church, they never asked. But so be it.

I loved this church without singers; they used CD instead as an accompaniment to the congregation. Only on school masses (they have primary school and high school up to year 10) they had a vocal group like ours. My Ash Wednesday mass with year 1 and 2 kids is unforgettable.

Now I belong to Applecross parish in metropolitan WA. My partner said, "the priest is normal, his sermon made sense". Thank God for that. He never missed a mass now, and I'm really glad. In this parish they also have Indonesian mass every Sunday - they belong to Western Australia Indonesian Catholic Community (WAICC) - but I only attended the Indo mass once. You know why, my partner doesn't understand Indo. And so for his portion, I would go to mass twice if I miss my Indonesian language.

Dear friends,
hope I didn't blabber too much. I remember I still owe you the Christmas 2006 film when we sang together. I also have footages on the swapping of the gifts.

In a nutshell, I miss our West Brunswick Youth Group.

Di (pronounced in Indonesian way, pls =) )

1 Comments:

At 11:53 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hai Dian, anak papa terkasih.
Pa bangga telah diberi kesempatan oleh YMK memiliki Dian yang sejak kecil membanggakan, menyinari kehidupan keluarga dan sampai kini terasa terus menghidupi semangat berkeluarga,...walau jauh dinegeri seberang...namun tetap dekat dihati. Maju terus dgn.penuh iman.
Salam n doa pamapo, 23.07.07.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home